In the 1920s, William Teague, the state’s rural supervisor of schools, suggested that Connecticut’s sprawling Northwest Corner consolidate its public schools. In 1937, the Connecticut legislature authorized the formation of the first regional school district in the state (hence the name of the new district, “Regional School District Number One”). The newly formed school board purchased the 75-acre (300,000 m2) former Lorch farm at the junction of the Salmon Kill and the Housatonic River near the Canaan-Salisbury town line for $8,000. The school was subsequently constructed on that site, opening in the fall of 1939.
In recent years, the school facility has been expanded; the most recent addition is the new agricultural education center, library, and science labs completed in 2001. The school facility includes one gymnasium, an auditorium, a cafeteria, and dozens of classrooms. In early 2008, a plan was unveiled to renovate the former Clark B. Wood Agricultural Center on campus. Part of that building, closed in 2001 after a renovation project, has already been turned into the artgarage, an afterschool activity center. The remaining sections are being renovated into a modern Science & Technology Center that will feature high-tech stations for use by schools in the area. Completion is expected in 2011.
Portions of the text by Wikipedia